Travel Regulations to Enter Bali
1. Pre-departure Preparation
Before departing to Bali, you need to prepare yourself with the information about the Visa and requirements to enter Indonesia.
Entering with Visa on Arrival and Visa Exemption Facility
According to the Circular Letter of the Directorate General of Immigration No. IMI-0650.GR.01.01 of 2022 concerning the Ease of Immigration to Support Sustainable Tourism during the COVID-19 Pandemic effective from 27 July 2022, below are the list of countries and special entities for Visa On Arrival ( VOA ), in alphabetical order:
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste
People's Republic of China
The Arab Republic of Egypt
The Kingdom of Bahrain
United Arab Emirates
United States of America
Below are the list of countries and special entities for Visa Exemption Arrangement Facility in alphabetical order:
More details about the updated rules, regulations and ports of entries for Visa On Arrival and Visa Exemption Facilities can be read on this link and can be summarized as follows:
1. Visit Visa Exemption or Visa on Arrival for Leisure Purpose can be issued accordingly with the following requirements:
a) Passport (diplomatic/official/ordinary) that is valid for a minimum of 6 (six) months,
b) A return ticket or a pass to continue the trip to another country,
c) Proof of payment of PNBP Visa on Arrival of 500,000 IDR (in the case of applying for a Visa on Arrival for Leisure Purpose), and
2. The entry stamp on the granting of a Visit Visa Exemption or Visa on Arrival for Leisure Purpose will be valid as a Visit Stay Permit with the certain period, as follows:
a) Visit Visa Exemption: maximum 30 days and cannot be extended.
b) Visa on Arrival: maximum of 30 days and can be extended once for another 30 days at the Immigration Office in the area where the foreign national lives.
3. Visit Visa Exemption or Visa on Arrival for Leisure Purpose can also be granted for foreign nationals on official visit or government duties to attend international events, for which shall be applied additional requirement: to enclose an invitation letter issued by the Indonesian government to attend the international conferences/trials/meetings.
4. The provision of Visit Visa Exemption or Visa on Arrival for Leisure Purpose as stipulated above applies to holders of diplomatic passports, service passports, or ordinary/general passports.
Entering with E-visa
According to the Circular Letter of the COVID-19 Task Force Number 25 of 2022 concerning Health Protocols for International Travel during the COVID-19 Pandemic, international travelers can also enter through I Gusti Ngurah Rai International Airport and Tanjung Benoa Seaport, Bali. Travelers who are not listed among the above mentioned countries can travel to Bali by applying e-visa before departure.
2. Arrival protocols
When you have arrived in Bali, there are several measures you need to take before you can continue your trip. According to the Circular Letter of the COVID-19 Task Force Number 25 of 2022 concerning Health Protocols for International Travel during the COVID-19 Pandemic, as of 31 August 2022, all international travelers, whether they are Indonesian citizens or foreign nationals, should comply with all the detailed regulations on this link.
The protocols can be summarized as follows:
1. All foreign travelers (foreign nationals) who will enter the territory of the Republic of Indonesia shall adjust their travel documents to ensure compliance with the provisions regarding the foreign travelers allowed to enter the territory of Indonesia, which includes Covid-19 vaccination certificates, recommended health protocols, along with the use of PeduliLindungi application while in Indonesia. Provisions for RT-PCR examination and quarantine period are not required except under certain conditions.
2. Foreign travelers must show a card/certificate (physical or digital) proving that you have received two doses of COVID-19 vaccine administered at least 14 days before departure.
Foreign travelers who undergo post-COVID recovery are allowed to continue the journey by attaching a doctor's certificate from the Government Hospital of the country of departure or the ministry that carries out government affairs in the health sector in the country of departure stating that the person concerned is no longer actively transmitting COVID-19 or the COVID-19 recovery certificate;
Foreign travelers with special health conditions or comorbidities that cause travelers to have not and/or unable to receive the COVID-19 vaccination, are allowed to continue the journey by attaching a doctor's certificate from the Government Hospital from the country of departure, stating that the person concerned has not and/or is unable to take part in the COVID-19 vaccination.
3. Upon arrival at the entry points, foreign travelers must undergo a COVID-19 symptom check, including a body temperature check, with the following conditions :
If there is no symptom of COVID-19 and body temperature is below 37.5 degrees Celsius: no need to undergo RT-PCR examination upon arrival
If there is any symptom of COVID-19 or body temperature above 37.5 degrees Celsius: must undergo RT-PCR examination upon arrival.
4. As a requirement for domestic travel or departure abroad from Indonesia, international travelers with the status of Indonesian citizens aged 18 years and above must present a card/certificate (physical or digital) of receiving the second dose of COVID-19 vaccine displayed through the PeduliLindungi application. You can check out this link to find out about the detailed regulations for domestic travel.
5. The provision regarding the period of isolation (quarantine) no longer applies. All foreign travelers without symptoms related to COVID-19 and whose body temperature is below 37.5 degrees Celsius are able to continue their journey. However, it is highly recommended to monitor their health independently.
6. Health protocols must meet these requirements:
Wearing 3 ply of fabric mask or medical grade mask, covering nose, mouth, and chin at indoor settings or any crowded situations;
Replacing the mask regularly within every 4 hours, and dispose the waste in the proper place;
Washing hands regularly with water and soap or hand sanitizers;
Maintaining social distance for a minimum of 1.5 meters and avoiding crowds; and
Keeping in mind that it is advised not to have one-way or two-way communication by telephone or in person throughout the trip using public transportation modes of land, rail, sea, river, lake, ferry, and air.
7. The above policies are temporary and will be readjusted according to global health developments.
Please make sure that you are tested by the affiliated laboratories so that the results will be directly connected to the PeduliLindungi app.
Furthermore, you can visit here to get a one stop service for your travel requirements in Bali. Kindly click here to browse all the accommodations and tourism destinations in Bali that have been granted the CHSE (Cleanliness, Health, Safety, and Environmental Sustainability) certification. Beside booking at your favorite accommodation among the listed hotels, villas, and resorts, come check out these Live on Board providers for new exciting experiences.
Remember to always comply with all the health protocols while enjoying the best of Bali again. Do keep yourself updated with the latest information about traveling regulations in Bali by checking out this page.
Come follow our Instagram @wonderfulindonesia, Facebook @WonderfulIndonesia, Twitter @wonderfulid, TikTok @wonderfulid, and our Youtube Wonderful Indonesia to keep an eye out on the latest news about Indonesia’s tourism as well as awe-inspiring trip ideas.
*Disclaimer : This article was updated on August 31, 2022. Due to the dynamic nature of travel regulations, please stay updated and confirm your itinerary with your chosen travel providers.